Biologic therapy-Related demyelinating peripheral neuropathy in a child with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
Heba A Alqurashi, Ghada Al-Salmi, Mohammad A Al-Muhaizea and Sulaiman M Al-Mayouf*
Published: 19 July, 2018 | Volume 2 - Issue 1 | Pages: 020-022
Demyelinating peripheral neuropathy has been described in association with tumor necrosis factor (TNF) inhibitors. It is rarely developed after treatment discontinuation. We present the case of a child with juvenile idiopathic arthritis who developed peripheral neuropathy few months after TNF inhibitor withdrawal with clinical worsening of the neurological sequelae while undergoing treatment with abatacept.
Read Full Article HTML
Cite this Article
Read Full Article PDF
Juvenile idiopathic arthritis; TNF- inhibitor; Abatacept; Demyelination neuropathy
- Furst D, Keystone E, Braun J, Breedveld F, Burmester G, et al. Updated consensus statement on biological agents for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, 2010. Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: i2-36. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/ydhu4qoy
- Davies R, Carrasco R, Foster H, Balidam E, Chieng S, et al. Treatment prescribing patterns in patients with juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA): Analysis from the UK Childhood Arthritis Prospective (CAPS). Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2016; 46: 190-195. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/yayoxrsp
- Horneff G. Safety of biologic therapies for the treatment of juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2015; 14: 1111-1126. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/y7s7dncp
- Hashkes P, Uziel Y, Laxer R. The safety profile of biologic therapies for juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010; 6: 561- 571. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/y7ov3ckz
- Al-Mayouf S, Alenazi A, ALJasser H. Biologic agents therapy for Saudi children with rheumatic diseases: indications and safety. Int J Rheum Dis. 2016; 19: 600- 605. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/ydgjmw76
- Yagita M, Hamano T, Hatachi S, Fujita M. Peripheral neuropathies during biologic therapies. Mod Rheumatol. 2016; 26: 288-293.
- Seror R, Richez C, Sordet C, Rist S, Gossec L, et al. Pattern of demyelination occurring during anti-TNF- therapy: a French national survey. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013; 52: 868-874. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/yc8ayp7k
- Ramos-Casals M, Roberto-Perez-Alvarez, Diaz-Lagares C, Cuadrado M, Khamashta M. Autoimmune diseases induced by biological agents: a double-edged sword? Autoimmun Rev. 2010; 9: 188-193. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/y95jxhna
- Perez-Alvarez R, Pérez-De-Lis M, Ramos-Casals M. Biologics-induced autoimmune diseases. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2013; 25: 56-64. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/yd7hpn5p
- Alvarez-Lario B, Prieto-Tejedo R, Colazo-Burlato M, Macarron-Vicente J. Severe Guillain-Barre syndrome in a patient receiving anti-TNF therapy. Consequence or coincidence. A case-based review. Clin Rheumatol. 2013; 32: 1407-1412. Ref.: https://tinyurl.com/ybf9zbmt
- Herrero-Beaumont G, Martínez Calatrava M, Castañeda S. Abatacept mechanism of action: concordance with its clinical profile. Reumatol Clín. 2012; 8: 78-83.